10/27/08

VeganMofo 22: Reuben Sandwich

Yesterday for the picnic I made reuben sandwiches. I made the corned beef seitan recipe from everyday dish. My corned beef, however, was substantially less attractive. It sort of looked like a naked meat loaf, and was a little bit spongy while it was warm. It firmed up quite a bit as it cooled, though. I put it on toasted marble rye with sauerkraut, sliced tomato, and thousand island. I was out of veganaise so I made the thousand island with garden herb dressing and ketchup, along with some pickle relish and a squirt of spicy mustard. They were really good, and my friend Eric said he wants to get together and perfect the recipe and maybe sell it at the new grocery store going in down the street. Wicked.

3 comments:

Tami said...

That looks amazing. Reubens are one of my favorite sandwiches. I have yet to try it with that corned beef seitan.

Anonymous said...

Yum! I've never had a reuben but that sounds great. The bread is really pretty!

Hussy, Get Back in Yo Corner said...

Re: your question to me, it does not look as bad as the other sandwich. However, it does look like the sauerkraut is climbing out of the sandwich and might attack at any moment.

I'd definitely try your sandwich, even though the use of spongy grossed me out.

I have some vegan soup recipes to send your way; will try to get 'em typed up this weekend.