3/18/08

Chickpea Cutlets

I mentioned earlier that I'm working on a vegan cooking class at my church. I'm still really excited about it, especially after the planning meeting we had last night. I tried the chickpea cutlets from Veganomicon for the first time. I admit, my expectations were pretty high, and I was a little disappointed. I think it was the texture. We pan fried them, and while the outside was nice, the inside was mushy. They were redeemed today, however, when I tried the baking method with the one leftover cutlet. SOOOO much better. Dry and crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside. Here is it plated up with my salad and some BBQ sauce.

The other recipes were a a hit, though, especially the cornbread and the roasted garlic mashed potatoes. I'll have plenty of pictures of the event when it goes off in a couple of weeks.

I know a lot of people would prefer that I include recipes, but when they're from cookbooks I feel bad giving them out. I'll say, however, that most of them you can find online if you google the right words. In fact, a good chunk of Veganomicon is available here, with some of the best recipes redacted, of course. A lot of cookbooks are available at the library too, and if we're friends you can always borrow mine. I just don't feel comfortable putting the recipes out on the internet without permission. It's not because I'm being a stingy, pedantic lawyer; it's really because I respect the authors and their work.

No comments: